Pages

Friday, December 2, 2016

Gods Behaving Badly, by Marie Phillips

Gods Behaving Badly, by Marie Phillips, read by Rosalyn Landor

It's hard for the Greek gods in the modern world. They've lost most of their power, and are stuck living in a dilapidated house in London. In order to make a living, Aphrodite answers sex calls, Apollo is a TV psychic, and Artemis is a dog walker.  They still treat humans with the same snide disregard, though. When Apollo insults Aphrodite, she decides to take revenge on him by making him fall in love with a homely young woman, Alice, who is their housemaid. This sets off a storm of bad luck for everyone involved. 

This was a funny book with an interesting twist on gods-in-modern-world sub-genre. It had its ups and downs as far as writing went, though. It was funny, as I said, but I didn't care about any of the characters - I didn't dislike the naughty ones and I found Alice to be a bit insipid. Of course, she was meant to be insipid, and Phillips did a good job of portraying that. :) I read most of this book months ago, put the book down when I got bored, and picked it back up again recently. 

Normally with how bored I was by the book, I'd give it three snowflakes, but I'll give it an extra half a snowflake for humor. 


No comments:

Post a Comment