Pages

Monday, November 16, 2015

Nonfiction in Audiobooks


The discussion post for the third week of Nonfiction November is to discuss "nontraditional nonfiction." I admit, I'm a really slow reader and by the time I'm relaxing at home with a book, I'd rather be reading fiction. Therefore, my "traditional" nonfiction reading is pretty much at a snail's pace. But I get a lot of nonfiction read through audiobook. In fact, I alternate fiction with non-fiction when I'm listening, so I get a lot of nonfiction "read" this way. I can't recommend a specific book, because there are just too many, and I'm  not all that picky - as long as the reader is reasonably good, I'm happy. 

Instead, let me tell you about why I started listening to audiobooks. When I was younger, I never listened in class. My teachers in middle school used to accuse me of "staring off into space instead of listening," which I really didn't think I was doing. By the time I got to high school, I knew I didn't listen - my chemistry teacher used to always praise me about how I'd discovered a new way to solve his problems. Well, the reason I didn't do it his way is because I never listened to a word he said. I had no idea how he told us to solve the problems. I didn't tell him that. Then in college, I had a rather shocking experience. I was sitting with a group of students discussing a class. One of them mentioned something the professor said. I was floored. People actually hear what the professor says? 

After that, I tried. The rest of my undergraduate career I tried really hard to pay attention. It didn't work. During the first couple of years of grad school, I tried chanting in my head "you must listen, you must listen, you must listen." Somehow I managed to continue that chant in my head while thinking of other things. I even tried yoga. No luck. I just couldn't listen to what people said. I decided I was audibly challenged. As in, low auditory comprehension, not poor hearing.

That's when I tried out audiobooks. I figured I could practice listening to auditory stimulation while I was exercising and stuff. I specifically picked books that I wouldn't otherwise have read - because I didn't want to miss something that I actually wanted to read. For instance, I listened to the entire Twilight series. :) 

It worked! Now I am able to listen to books that I want to read, and I do it all the time. I like audio for non-fiction, because it doesn't make my eyes blur over when I'm tired, like written non-fiction can. (Though maybe if I stopped reading books that "read like textbooks" I'd not have this problem - but I like those books!)

Less importantly, I'm better able to listen in classes now. So, thank God for audiobooks!


14 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree with you that it takes patience and learning to listen to audiobooks. I was so frustrated with them the first couple of times I listened (ok, more than a couple), but now I can actually listen to a book faster than I can read it because my reading time is so limited. Like you I started with books I didn't necessarily care about OR books that I'd already read. Yay Audio!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't have much reading time, so I'm really thankful for audiobooks!

      Delete
  2. It's encouraging to know that you were able to train yourself to listen to audiobooks. That is something I struggle with. I'm working on it though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep working on it. You'll get the hang of it!

      Delete
  3. That is such an interesting story Rachel. I cannot imagine what it was like during your years when it was so difficult to listen.

    I am glad that audiobooks have worked so well for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I got through it though. I imagine I didn't miss anything interesting. :)

      Delete
  4. What a great story! I totally relate because I am very A.D.D. It was never caught because I am not hyperactive but I was in trouble for staring off into space and claiming the teacher did not explain the homework assignment ALL THE TIME. I realized that taking notes on everything was how I could pay attention. Even writing down what did not matter just to practice. I would forget everything 30 sec. after it was said so I wrote it down. I still cannot listen to audiobooks so maybe taking notes would be the trick! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'm ADD so much as just bored. :) But I had the same problem. I never knew that we even HAD homework because I didn't hear it being assigned. Parents thought I was lying.

      Delete
  5. This is such an interesting post! I love listening to nonfiction and often get through books I'd never finish in print. Printed nonfiction tends to put me to sleep.Have decided that I must be an auditory learner.

    I've always hated reading directions, too, especially for new gadgets... I just want someone to tell me how to use something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, print nonfiction is harder for me. But I get in a book every once in a while. As long as I liberally sprinkle in fiction

      Delete
  6. This is such a great story; thank you for sharing your experience with us! It definitely took some practice for me to be able to focus on what I was hearing, when I initially began listening to audiobooks; I find that nonfiction holds my attention much better than fiction, which I find interesting. I listen while I'm running, most often, and find that I get books read much faster this way - ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Based on the replies, it seems that everyone has trouble listening to audiobooks at first! had no idea.

      Delete
  7. Good for you! I'm glad audiobooks helped.

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2015/11/nonfiction-november.html

    ReplyDelete