Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2016

R.eaders I.mbibing in P.eril XI - and weekly update

Hi All! I'm afraid not much has happened worth noting this week. Maybe that's a good thing. :) 

The Ren Festival was a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed watching Willy Wonka and Blazing Saddles in the theater. 



This was my last week of hands-on-training for work, and I'll really miss some of the patients that I met at the facility I was training at. But I won't miss the negative attitude that the employees there have. They are downright mean to some of the patients, and tend to break HIPPA by talking about the patients in front of other patients. They are particularly mean to one patient who is the sweetest guy ever. I don't see why, since his only problem is that he has dementia and tends to ask the same question over and over. One of the girls said she doesn't like him because he "milks the dementia!" I felt really bad saying "bye" to him, since he seemed so genuinely sad that I was going and said "But you're so nice!" :( However, I'm happy to be moving on with work and becoming independent. I have one week of book-learning to do before that happens. 


I finished two books this week, Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers, by Robert M. Sapolsky, and The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm by Nancy Farmer.


I'm currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee, Stiletto, by Daniel O'Malley (book club choice), and I'll read The Myth of Sisyphus and Other Essays for National Suicide Prevention Month. 


I've written one book review since my return from blogging hibernation last week: 


I've decided to commit to one book for RIP XI this year. 

RIP XI @ Stainless Steel Droppings
Image courtesy of Abigail Larson
I'm having trouble deciding which book I'll imbibe in: The Fifth Child, by Doris Lessing or Beloved, by Toni Morrison. Both are written by Nobel Prize winners, and I've enjoyed reading both authors in the past. Any suggestions? 




6 comments:

  1. I've read and enjoyed both of those authors, but neither of those books, so I'd have a hard time choosing, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I finally decided on Fifth Child, but I might not read it now that I've decided to devote a year to reading the Bible. I've got some books I want to read in preparation to next year.

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, I know from hearing my wife's experience of being an EMT and going to nursing homes on calls that it isn't uncommon for those negative attitudes...and sad. One day any of us could be...or might be...in a similar situation. You'd think they'd have more compassion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! They need to have more compassion. Though, actually, I work in a dialysis clinic and not a nursing home. I have seen this attitude from my time in the nursing home, though.

      Delete
  3. I've always wanted to read The Ear, the Eye, and the Arm. It just sounds fabulous!

    http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2016/09/need-powerful-panacea-cure-all-elixir.html

    ReplyDelete